Monday, December 29, 2014

Chanukah Challah

Oh challah challah challah, I made it out of dough, and when it’s baked and ready, to the table we shall go!

Chanukah is probably one of my favorite challahdays. In our house Chanukah means lots of latkes, a vanilla cookie Chanukah house, a mench on a bench, and of course presents. This was our first year with a mench on a bench. We named him Avi, because he Avi-ously loves Chanukah. However, I think I saw him hooking up with one of my old Barbies so I’m not sure if he is really a NJB.


Jenn celebrated Chanukah by inviting her friends over. And that was the real reason to make challah, because there were now enough people to eat it! For me, Chanukah started while I was still in Ohio so I got to light the menorah with my friends Meesh and Rebecca! However, it was really cold and windy outside so we eventually gave up with lighting our candles and went to Panera for dinner. Clearly we are great Jews, but lets be honest, Chanukah isn't really a religious holiday.


Another great part about Chanukah is that I am finally home from school. After completing my first semester of grad school, it sure feels nice to spend my days "laying" with my BFF Bailey, who also loves Chanukah and even wore a Chanukah collar and bow, which he got from his Aunt Ellen.

Woof Woof, I love Chanukah!

Recipe: (makes 2 loaves)
3/4 cup water
1 packet of active dry yeast (about 2 tsp)
1.5 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sugar
3 extra large eggs: 2 for dough, 1 for baste
1/4 cup oil
3-4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
White Chocolate Chips
Blue Food Coloring

Mix wateryeasthoney and sugar in a mixing bowl. Place in a warm place. This could be next to a window that gets sunlight, or I like to place it in the oven at 120 degrees and then turn off the oven. Let stand for about 10-15 minutes or until the mixture starts to foam.


In a separate bowl mix 2 eggs and oil. Add to the yeast mixture after it has foamed.

Add 2 cups of flour, followed by the salt, and then the rest of the flour. Make sure you mix the flour as you are adding it. Continue to add flour until the dough is no longer sticking to your hands.

Knead the ingredients and form into a ball. Oil the large bowl and then roll the ball of dough in the oil. This prevents the dough from sticking to the bowl as it rises. Place the ball back in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place it in a warm place. Let the bowl sit for about 1-2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.

After
Before

Remove dough from bowl and knead to get out all the air. Add blue dye to the dough until it becomes the color you want.


Roll out 2 strands and fill with white chocolate chips. Pinch each strand closed.


Make a triangle with one strand and then weave the other strand through the triangle to make a star shape. After braiding the challah, place on a buttered cookie sheet and allow challah to rise for at least 30 minutes in a warm place. This allows the dough to rise again.


Baste with egg wash (1 egg and 1/2 tbsp water).

Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 or until internal temperature is around 170. 

When the challah starts to brown in the oven you will need to place a piece of foil on top of the challah so that the strands do not change color. I unfortunately covered mine too late so it looks more brown than blue.



Yum Yum! I'm going to need to teach a lot of spin classes to burn off all this challah!

No comments:

Post a Comment