Friday, March 6, 2015

Raspberry Nutella Challah

I am officially 75% done with my master's degree in accounting and I couldn't be more excited! I had my last, first day of school this week and was very tempted to take a "first day of school" photo but was too embarrassed to ask anyone to take it. Probably the best part about my last 7 weeks in school is that I no longer have Friday classes, which can only mean one thing... I can go out on Thursdays again! Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed being an old person and staying in to watch Scandal (and that's probably what I will be doing next Thursday and every Thursday after #BubbeLou), but there is just something special about Thursday nights. This week was my sorority's big little reveal and also my friend Betsy's 21st birthday, which gave me an excuse to go out without seeming like an old person trying to relive her college days (yes I know, I don't even go here). I have been so busy lately with school and it was really nice to go out and see so many of my friends. I am so lucky to be at Ohio State for an extra year and be able to spend time with the friends I made in undergrad, especially my phi pham. I still cant believe I have a great great great grand little and another great great grand little, I literally have the best phi pham in the world!

The Best Damn Pham In The Land!

While we were downtown last night we saw Ezekiel Elliott and Joey Bosa and I was literally starstruck. Ezekiel said he couldn't take a picture because he had practice at 6am on Friday but we managed to convince him. Also, side note, Joey Bossa is gorgeous in person, even though he has a man bun.


Recipe: (makes 2 loaves)
3/4 cup water
1 packet of active dry yeast (about 2 tsp)
4 tbsp honey
3 extra large eggs: 2 for dough, 1 for baste
1/4 cup oil
3-4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
Nutella
Raspberry pastry filling 
Red chocolate chips
White chocolate chips

Mix wateryeast, and honey in a mixing bowl. Place in a warm place. This could be next to a window that gets sunlight, or I like to place it in the oven at 120 degrees and then turn off the oven. Let stand for about 10-15 minutes or until the mixture starts to foam.


In a separate bowl mix 3 eggs and oil. Add to the yeast mixture after it has foamed. Add flour and salt. Make sure you mix the flour as you are adding it. Continue to add flour until the dough is no longer sticking to your hands.

Knead the ingredients and form into a ball. Oil the large bowl and then roll the ball of dough in the oil. This prevents the dough from sticking to the bowl as it rises. Place the ball back in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place it in a warm place. Let the bowl sit for about 1-2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.


Remove dough from bowl and knead to get out all the air.

Separate the dough and roll out each ball into a strand. Place a thin layer of Nutella followed by a thin layer of raspberry pastry filling on each strand then put red chocolate chips and white chocolate chips on top. Be careful not to put too much inside the strands, because then they won't close. I did a 3 strand challah, but you can do whatever shape you want.



After braiding the challah, place on a buttered cookie sheet and allow challah to rise for at least 30 minutes in a warm place. This allows the dough to rise again.

Baste with egg wash (1 egg and 1/2 tbsp water).

Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 or until internal temperature is around 170. If the top of the challah is getting too dark or hard then place a piece of foil on top of it while the inside continues to cook.



This challah was made specifically for my friend Meesh because she requested a raspberry nutella challah a few weeks ago. Meesh was studying at the library when the challah came out of the oven so I dropped it off there for her. Talk about full service!

 Yumm yummm Meeshy definitely approved!

1 comment:

  1. since it is winters, i would definitely try this amazing recipe so that i have something good to look forward to when i take breaks from . keep posting

    ReplyDelete